Friday, March 11, 2011

No explanation necessary

As a Technical Writer, I was trained to understand analytical and complex things that the average person may not understand. I use to take pride in that ability.  Because it equipped me to understand things complicated, and then be able to simplify it so others could understand it...the best of both worlds.  Then, I was introduced to something called the Spirit of God. God's spirit has that similar trait in that he is so complex, yet he uses the foolish things to confound the wise. Throughout the bible you'll find an array of simple truths outlined that are so simple 'till it seems almost incapable of being executed (i.e. love your enemies, do good and pray for those who despitefully use you, etc).


As I grow more knowledgeable of the Spirit of God, I find my analytical trait becomes less and less applicable. Everything is becoming simple to me. But what I'm finding is that my generation was brought up in such an information-age that we grew up sharper, more technically-advanced thinkers than our predecessors. But often times this stands against us when it comes to salvation. I often wonder to myself why is it that my generation does not deal with the Spirit like our forefathers did (our praying grandmothers, etc)? What is it that shys us away from being submissive beings to this higher power our forefathers were hip to? I believe one of the main reasons is because of our innate abilities to analyze and process information in a way that makes us feel above simplicity. Simple things aren't attractive to us. We seek for "why's" to everything and it's hard for us to submit to something that can't be explained logically.


If I could put it in layman's terms, in the simplest of forms possible that sums up what I believe God is truly after from us - his people, I'd simply say, "He wants your heart." Yet, I can almost imagine how our minds have already begun trying to figure out how much of it, why does he want it, what exactly in my heart does he want, etc, etc. The very thing that makes us such an intelligent generation makes us quite dumb at the same time. The humble, grateful, knowingly-undeserving heart would first respond, "Wow, as frail as my heart is, God wants it!" There is no logic, no explanation to describe how a great God could ever want to deal with such frail, prideful beings, except love. Analytics, technicalities, logic, and such have stripped my generation of the simplicity of love. I fear some in my generation will die forever trying to gain an explanation. I've determined that I have all the explanation I need. He'll explain the rest to me later.

(I would expound more to clarify my points; however, it’s late, and I’m sleepy, but I had to get that out…)


L8r:
~faithful

No comments: