Friday, July 18, 2008

"Where are you from Glenn?"

I'm blogging an email from my brother...good read:

Hey whats up everybody.

Just thought Id share with yall something interesting.

Yesterday, I was talking with the assistant officer in charge of my squadron, and he shared with me a widely shared opinion and view of me by people in our squadron. He asked me "Where are you from Glenn?" I replied, "Detroit." He said, "I find that very hard to believe." Immediately I knew what he was talking about because I had this same conversation with another black girl in this squadron who also found it very hard to believe. But this is a white older guy I was having this conversation with.

I went on to tell him, "I'm from the hood; from the inner-most part of the inner-city. I'm not from the suburbs, or some city right outside of Detroit." He said, "I find that so hard to believe. The way you conduct yourself, the way you talk, and your manners doesn't reflect my idea of someone who was born and raised in the inner city of Detroit in my opinion." I simply told him, "That's because I was raised right. That's attributed to my parents. I was the only guy I knew in my hood that actually had the traditional married mother and father and children all living under the same roof. A lot of my friends didn't even know their fathers. My parents raised me and my sisters right. All of their children are educated beyond high school, fear God, and for the most part stayed out of trouble growing up."

Thanks mom and dad!

-tim

L8r-
~faithful

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Several years ago I read "Who you are is God's gift to you, who you become is your gift to God" and I wish I could remember the author and the source. What we become is our choice based on the priorities and beliefs instilled in us as children. We also grew up knowing that we had a choice and that each choice had a consequence. So we weighed the two and stood by the decision we made. Given that responsibility and the fear of both God (and our parents!), we expect you (outside the family circle) to be surprised but we are not! Because we were poor, we strived for better; because we went without, we appreciated what we got, and because our parents so unselfishly gave what they had, we grew up sharing what we got. It is not a surprise when we can show others what we are made of through our actions, not our possessions.

A very proud Auntie Kay